[nSLUG] Time services

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Wed Mar 19 13:20:36 AST 2003

As others have contributed, ntp is the current king of time keeping.

You could read all the documentation and wear out your eye sockets
learning about primary server requirements and so on.  All you
really need is to install the ntpd, and set up a configuration
file (ntp.conf) for it, something like this:

server  tock.utoronto.ca prefer
server  tick.utoronto.ca
server  ntp2.cmc.ec.gc.ca
server  time.chu.nrc.ca

These are pointing to secondary ntp servers (the Right Thing To Do).
If you keep the default entries you might want to keep these
additional lines (in ntp.conf):

driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay	0.008
authenticate no

I liked the server names for U of T machines so I made
tick and tock my top entries.  It doesn't matter what ntp
servers you use, the system is capable of compensating
for the delay/lag time to reach them over the net.
But common sense tells us it is better to use ones in the
eastern half of this country rather than something that might
have disruption due to it being so many hops away.

If you have Windows boxes, I found that nettime was a good tool
to have for them to sync with your Linux box.

--Donald Teed