[nSLUG] monitor question

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Mon Mar 17 15:55:21 AST 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, [ISO8859_1] Réjean Chamberland wrote:

> Thanks Donald and also to Vikram! I could be in trouble. My mainboard refuses to read any floppy drive ( I have tried several ). Could I make a copy of fdisk on a zip drive instead ( I've got a few boot disk around, and I could use my newer computer to do so )? I'll give it a try if I have to move the hard drive into the new computer. Thanks again!
> Rejean

I can think of a few things that can go wrong leading to a failure of
the floppy:

1.  CMOS has floppy disabled, or boot order doesn't include A: or floppy
before C: or hard drive, or CMOS has swap A and B drives enabled

2.  Floppy was recently removed and cable installed in reverse
orientation.  This will usually write garbage on any disc inserted,
whether you intended to do so or not.  The symptom is that the light
is on all of the time (and spins).

3.  Liquid spilled on floppy, floppy (dried even) inserted
in drive and floppy head gummed up

You can clean a floppy drive with a cleaner disc.  You can replace
it with a new one for $20 something.  In a pinch you can borrow
one from another working machine.