[nSLUG] commands

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Wed Mar 12 09:13:38 AST 2003

I'm not sure if you are new to Debian or new to Linux/Unix.  If the
latter of the two, you might be able to get some advantage from this
list:

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/

That is, if you want a reference for common commands.
You can also use man to lookup the syntax and such.  Another
neat tool is apropos.  It searches in the short description and
command name for matches (for all commands having man pages), and
sometimes will produce subject/topic matches.  Say you wanted a
command to create new users, you can find related commands with:

apropos user

which produces a lot of matched output, but try:

apropos user | grep new

which will produce the list of commands mentioning user and new.
Then you can use man to get the details on one of the returned matches:

man useradd

If you are trying to get an idea on how to control your vessel,
the best way to go is to find organized information by topic.
I've never seen anything on line like this - it is usually
solved by buying a book.  You could also check to see if the
library has something.  I think many people will agree that
O'Reilly publications are the way to go.

I've sometimes wondered how I'm going to teach my kids about Linux.
I learned it by starting with Berkeley Unix on a PDP 11/70 in 1980,
which involved only a handful of commands (as a user).  As time
went on I was exposed to AT&T Unix on 3B2s, Sun OS 4, Solaris, and
then Linux - always advancing the features and technology.  As I
look at the packages available for Linux today, I think it could be
confusing to pick out the core commands we should know.  I'm considering
setting them up with a simple Linux box with something like Redhat 3
(behind a good firewall or maybe on their own network!) so that
they can first become familiar with the command line, and learn the nuts
of bolts of setting up services, X11, networking and so on.

--Donald Teed