[nSLUG] Jigdo File

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Thu Mar 6 16:20:47 AST 2003

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Peter Cordes wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 05:36:10PM -0400, Donald Teed wrote:
> > Or perhaps it is completely political like drinking fair trade coffee.
>
>  This is OT, but I see fair traded goods as more like giving to charity than
> making a political statement.  As far as not continuing to exploit the
> downtrodden has political connotations, there is a political aspect to it,
> but it's really a moral, not a political thing.  (And moral clarity is IMHO
> easier in this case than with Free software.  I can certainly see why not
> everyone agrees with RMS!)
>
>  Hmm, I guess it depends on exactly what "political" means.

Anything moral can quickly become political.  It starts when someone
looks down at your coffee cup which is missing the fair trade sticker or
whatever and says "you're not drinking fair trade coffee".

I happen to like fair trade coffee.  It tastes great and it is a good
concept.  However, I don't like it when political correctness tries to
push concepts and practises on people by shaming and ridiculing them.
It has about as much depth as fashion (ala Bowie: "we are the goon
squad and we're coming to town - beep beep").  The converse of this
is when someone holds a cup of the politically correct coffee in
their hand just to be seen in a positive light.

I wonder if I've seen things like this when people talk about
their favorite Linux distro, or BSD, or whatever.  Same for AMD
versus Intel...  I have seen people at Linux gatherings who
use Windows every day but are ashamed to say it.

Myself, I don't see it like that, nor like a sports event where
I have a side to support.  I like what Linux does, I like what
Windows does in gaming and for tasks like web design, and I
like working with the hardware and upgrading.  I will take a side
in one area: don't replace my machine with a typewriter or
gaming console!