[nSLUG] Pine and Debian

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Wed Mar 5 09:44:27 AST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Peter Cordes wrote:

>  It is illegal to distribute "modified binaries" (i.e. ones which keep
> things in the Right Place, according to Debian), so pine is distributed
> as a source package only.  Do:
> cd /usr/local/src # or /usr/src, or wherever
> apt-get build-deps pine
> apt-get source --build pine
> dpkg -i pine_4.44-7_i386.deb pine-tracker_4.44-7_i386.deb [... and
> whatever else you want]

This might work for most cases but it fails to find source for my sparc debian

The apt-get web site mentioned by Dop Ganger is neat, but no
sparc packages, so it is off to the source for me.  Oh well, I'll use
the opportunity to compile in ldap support for when that is required.

Strange that Redhat has no trouble distributing pine.  I suppose Debian has
also dropped support for MP3 format.