[nSLUG] KDE with Mozilla/Netscape bug

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Tue Mar 4 22:25:09 AST 2003

Jigdo is one thing about Debian that has failed me.
I've tried both the Windows (DOS) and Linux clients
and neither could suceed to download the parts to build
an ISO image file.  The DOS client crapped out with document
not found errors, and I repeatedly saw "Arghh!  This shouldn't
happen" errors on Linux.  I gave up after farting around
with that for a few hours and did an install via the
network.

The other surprise for me was going through the package
selection process in dselect.  I saw many items in there
that I would not consider part of the operating
system.  Individual perl modules and little apps
like falselogin make the install process more time
consuming to complete, and actually increase your chances
of missing something you do need.  Thousands of
packages isn't a good thing when the selection system
is a rather flat tree.

There should be more levels of category and subcategory
in the dselect interface, and some thought should go
into having a section like "databases" that DB packages go
under rather than "misc".  I can't imagine trying to
use dselect as a Linux newbie!  Expanded descriptions in
there would help, or a way to view the contents of
the package (ala gnorpm).

--Donald Teed