[nSLUG] virus scanner?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Aug 16 16:36:12 ADT 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 04:20:41PM -0300, Rob Smith wrote:
> any suggestions on sites to try?? I tried yahoo and google both use ms fonts
> ;)  I also looked at the nslug site.. what is the story on the 3 fonts in
> this line??  Does that mean it will try each one in sequence if the person
> doesn't have the first font?

> face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif" color="WHITE">Welcome To
> nSLUG</font></td>

Precisely.  Verdana first (Lord knows why -- it is ugly) then Arial (ditto,
and besides, is just a bad copy of Helvetica) then Helvetica, and failing
all else, whatever your browser considers to be the default Sans-Serif font
(at least, I think that's what it means -- can any of you web-page monkeys
out there confirm this?)

For maximum portability, one might have said instead:

Helvetica,Arial,Sans-Serif

In Linux, Helvetica is aliased to a suitable Helvetica substitute
(URW++ Nimbus Sans L) and I would hope it is on most systems too.  In case
there are systems that don't alias Helvetica to something reasonable, fall
back to Microsoft's Helvetica knock-off, and then after that, drop back to
the sans serif default.  Hm, what's Apple's Helvetica substitute?  Geneva, I
guess.

Here's what I found at geekculture.com:

This site caters to Mac and Linux users and various other sub-species of
geek.

I'm not sure why everyone lists Arial first.  Is it supposed to be better
than the alternatives on the Windows platform?

Ben
    nSLUG       http://www.nslug.ns.ca      synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
    Debian      http://www.debian.org       synrg at debian.org