[nSLUG] Aliant High Speed Internet

Jesse Lawrence lawrence_jesse at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 16 10:20:27 ADT 2002

Hello all, I'm trying to configure a Mandrake Linux
box to access Aliant high speed internet, and I'm
having some difficulty.  This is something that I did
with great ease using m-powered, but they've since
switched to Aliant.

Aliant gives you a cd for install on windoze and mac,
which it claims you "need" to hook it up.  It should
however, be configurable on a Linux box.  I believe
that Aliant uses PPPoE (not certain), but I'm not sure
exactly how to set it up.  I've been trying the
Mandrake Control Center (graphical setup), because I
don't know how to do this in the command line.

The big problem is that I'll be moving my server,
which currently resides on a regular m-powered hookup
(I use a dynamic DNS service), to this new Aliant
hookup, and I'm not sure if it will work.

So, has anyone got any idea how to configure Aliant
High Speed on a Linux machine (with command line or
graphical), and if so, do you know whether or not this
will support web and ftp servers?

Thank you very,
Jesse Lawrence
http://soniceast.d2g.ca/jesse/