[nSLUG] Java Runtime Environment

Vikram evolocus at hfx.eastlink.ca
Sat Aug 10 08:50:31 ADT 2002

     Your problem is "permission denied", so apparently /bin/sh exists, but is
    not executable, or you some other permission problem.  Run  ls -l /bin/sh.
    Normally, it should be a symbolic link to bash or zsh, or ash.  It's strange
    that /bin/sh doesn't work on your system.  That would mean that no shell
    scripts work, unless they use bash explicitly, instead of sh.  BTW, I would
    not recommend rebooting until you fix this, because shutting down and
    starting up involve a lot of shell scripts, and things could get ugly if
    some of them don't work.

#ls -l /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx          1 root          root            4 Jul 28 06:54
/bin/sh --> bash

By the way, I had already rebooted the system successfully before I read
your message.