[nSLUG] Java Runtime Environment

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Aug 10 01:12:37 ADT 2002

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 12:52:39AM -0300, Vikram wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was trying to install Java Runtime Environment 1.4.x from the rpm.bin
> file and I am getting following error:
>
> #./j2re-1_4_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin:
> bash: ./j2re-1_4_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin: /bin/sh: bad interpreter:
> Permission denied

 The first line of a shell script say what program should be run to
interpret it.  For example:
$ cat foo.sh
#!/bin/foobar
exit 0;
$ ./foo.sh
bash: ./foo.sh: /bin/foobar: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

 There is no /bin/foobar, so it can't be executed.  (the error message is
from bash, because I'm running bash when I try to execute it, so it's bash
that fork(2)s and exec(2)s it.)

 Your problem is "permission denied", so apparently /bin/sh exists, but is
not executable, or you some other permission problem.  Run  ls -l /bin/sh.
Normally, it should be a symbolic link to bash or zsh, or ash.  It's strange
that /bin/sh doesn't work on your system.  That would mean that no shell
scripts work, unless they use bash explicitly, instead of sh.  BTW, I would
not recommend rebooting until you fix this, because shutting down and
starting up involve a lot of shell scripts, and things could get ugly if
some of them don't work.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y